Anand Kumar was born on 1 January 1973, in Patna, Bihar, India. He is a well known Indian Mathematics educator and best known for his Super 30 program. He started a program in 2002 in Patna, Bihar, in which he used to teach the underprivileged students for their competitive exams like IIT-JEE, which is the entrance exam for the Indian Institutes of Technology.
By 2018 he made 422 out of 481 students selected for the IITs, and his work got appreciation at Discovery Channel in a documentary. Anand has spoken about his Super 30 program at MIT and Harvard as well as in various institutions. His plan was for the underprivileged students who have the talent but do not have the resources. The work done by Anand is visible, whereas a movie was also portrayed on his life and work in the year 2019 which was named as Super 30, where Hrithik Roshan played the role of Anand Kumar.
Anand Kumar Wiki/Biography
Anand is also known as Super 30 man. He belongs to the Hindu religion, he was born in Patna, and his father was a clerk. Their financial condition was not so good. Whereby, he attended Hindi medium government school, where he developed his interest in mathematics. He studied in Patna High School and during his graduation he submitted papers on number theory, which got published in the Mathematical Spectrum. However, he also got his admission in the University of Cambridge but could not attend because of his father’s death and his financial condition, later on, he completed his further studies from Bihar National College, Patna University.
Anand Kumar’s father was a clerk in the Postal Department of India, and his mother Jayanti Devi was a housewife. He has a brother named Pranav Kumar who is a Violinist.
Relationship, wife, children
Anand Kumar’s marital status is married, and his wife’s name is Ritu. She is an Alumnus of IIT-Roorkee. He even has a son named Jagat Kumar.
|Height (approx)||in centimeters: 168 cm|
in meters: 1.68 m
in feet inches: 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx)||in kilograms: 65 kg|
in pounds: 130 lbs
Anand Kumar is a 46 years old man. His height is 168 in centimetres, 1.68 in meters and 5’6 in feet inches. His skin colour is brownish, eye and hair colour are black.
Anand is from Bihar National College, Bihar Patna Science College. In 1992 he began teaching mathematics. However, Anand started his institution named as Ramanujan School of Mathematics. He rented a classroom for Rs. Five hundred per month and started teaching there.
The strength of the students have grown from 2 to 36, then, later on, had almost 500 students who got enrolled themselves. A poor student came to him seeking an institute for the preparation of IIT-JEE because of the poverty he could not afford the admission fee then Anand decided to start Super 30 program in 2002. He conducts the exam every May at Ramanujan School of Mathematics. He used to take their proper care from providing study material to food. His mother used to cook food for these children and his brother Pranav takes care of the management. He aims to teach the students who do have a sufficient Talent but lack resources.
Anand Kumar is known for his work in Super 30 program. He is a knowledgeable and talented mathematician educator. In March 2009, one-hour-long cast on Super 30 was shown on Discovery channel. He has been featured in programs by BBC. Wherein, half of the page was devoted to Kumar’s life and his plan in The New York Times. He has even spoken about his project and experiences at some global platforms like- IIM Ahmedabad, IITs, University of British Columbia, Tokyo University and Stanford University. He entered into the Limca Book of Records, 2009 for his contribution to educate the needy children and help them to crack IITs by providing free coachings to them.
There are many more achievements of Anand Kumar, as a movie based on his real-life story was telecasted on box office where the lead role of Anand Kumar got played by Hrithik Roshan, which achieved a great success.
The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind awarded the “Rashtriya Bal Kalyan Award”. In November 2010 he was awarded the Prof. Yashwantrao Kelkar Yuva Puraskar award in 2010 by Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in Bangalore. He was named in the UK based magazine Monocle among the list of 20 pioneering teachers in the world, On 8 November 2018, Anand Kumar was honoured with the global education award, and by Malabar Gold & Diamonds in Dubai. Whereby, his efforts in the field of educating underprivileged children were considered “pioneering”. Anand has been felicitated in the US with “Education Excellence Award 2019” by the Foundation for Excellence in Education at a function in California.
Interesting facts about Anand Kumar
- Since his childhood, he wanted to become a mathematician and had an urge to do something new in the field of Mathematics.
- Cambridge and Sheffield University Offered him to study there, but he could not attend because of his father’s death and financial condition.
- For the earnings to run his house, he used to sell papads with his mother in the evening time after attending his college.
- In the 2011 Bollywood film titled Aarakshan by Prakash Jha, Amitabh Bachchan’s role was inspired by Anand Kumar and his Super 30.
- In 2017, he appeared on the popular show Kaun Banega Crorepati(KBC) hosted by the very talented Bollywood Megastar Amitabh Bachchan.
- In recognition of his accomplishment with underprivileged students, Karpagam University conferred on him the Honorary Doctorate of Science (Dsc) in December 2014.
- His biography was named as Super 30:Anand Kumar – which was written by Biju Mathew, a Psychiatrist and was published in the Hindi language by Prabhat Prakashan and in English by Penguin Random House in the year 2016. The book was presented by the Chief Minister of Bihar Nitesh Kumar.
- Norika Fujiwara, former Miss Japan, and famous actress visited Ramanujan Society of Mathematics for a documentary film on Super Thirty.